Thursday, September 26, 2013

Mighty Powerful Stuff



Ever think about how powerful your words are? 
Not just the words you speak aloud, but the words you think?  You know what I’m talking about . . . “self-talk” . . . all those things you say only to yourself, like “OMG, I’m having a bad hair day!” or “I hate how I look in these pants” or “Yuck! I’m getting old!” or “I feel terrible!” or “These people drive like freaks!” . . . the list goes on. 
Frequently, that negative self-talk creeps out of our inner conversation and insinuates itself into how we express ourselves to others.  The worst part is, we often don’t even know we’re doing it. 
Before you know it, those thoughts have become affirmations and, as we all know, affirmations have a way of manifesting into reality.

This is not our reality of choice.  Or is it? 

After all, we have created it . . . all with the help of our words.  Our finances, our careers, our relationships begin and end with our choice of words.

. . . very powerful things, words.

One way of looking at this is we are artists -- sculptors -- molding our experiences through our use and choice of the words we choose to describe ourselves, others, and the world in general.  Everything from the very mundane to the very important is colored by the words we choose to describe them.
Recently, a friend told me that when she awakens each morning she decides what kind of day she’s going to have.  She pictures it filled with good, peaceful, loving, abundant experiences and it sets the tone for her day.
What a wonderful place this world would be if we all took a lesson from her book!  She takes a moment, and it really takes only a moment, to close the window to negativity—not the least of which includes negative and hurtful thoughts and words—and opens the door to love.  Love then follows her throughout her day.  What a lovely way to choose to live. 

And it is a choice.

I’ve been cogitating on that idea ever since my friend presented it to me.  I like it.  It feels good.  How could it not?  After all, the one commandment Jesus gave to us is to “love thy neighbor as thyself.”  Being human, of course I stumble from time to time. Still, beginning each day thinking 'love' is proving to be a very positive experience. 
Will you join me?  Let’s start making a positive change in our world . . . one thought and one word at a time.

--Kate Morgan for Unity of Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment