Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Reaquainted with Wonder


When did you last take the time to really pay attention to the world in which we live?  Seriously pay attention, and see things as if for the first time as a small child? 
 We, all of us as children, go through that preciously beautiful stage of human development when almost everything is a new discovery . . . when the connection is made between words and the things and/or people they describe . . . when the simple act of running brings such joy that laughter is the only and most appropriate response. 


My youngest grandchild, just 22 months of age, is reacquainting me with this wondrous world view.  When I say “re”aquainting, it is because my experience with him has reminded me that my initial introduction to the world was quite the same as his, as most likely it was for each of us on this Earth.
Sadly, somewhere along the line, we often times loose our sense of awe and wonder, but when I am with this little boy I am reminded of it on a daily basis.   He raises me up and provides me with a “new” world view. 



As I move toward my 70th year on Earth, this little boy has gifted me with the blessing of re-discovery—of seeing the world through renewed eyes. 

 Every morning we spend together, we open the curtains in his room to the glorious discovery that there is a beautiful world “still out there” just waiting for us.

And every morning I see the joy of expectancy and hear the intake of breath as the curtains are pulled back, followed by that sweet three letter word, “Wow!”  Then I hear a recitation, as only a toddler can do (sound effects are mandatory), of all the glorious things we can see from his bedroom window:  trees, birds, butterflies, cars, trucks,  a neighbor walking his dog, airplanes—especially airplanes!  Regardless of how mundane these things may seem to those of us with “older eyes,” to a toddler, they bring delight and excitement. 



I say, why not slow the pace of our so called busy lives and embrace this view of the world regardless of our age?  I say, why not embrace a renewed purity

of heart as we move through our day? 

  I say, why not make the change from being “busy grown-ups” to living our lives with an appreciation and regard for the many miracles that surround us?

  And I say, “Thank you, thank you, thank you sweet Universe!” for this wonderful child who supports and renews my view of the world and keeps me in touch with what’s really important.



It’s a lovely ride.  Won’t you join me?

Kate Morgan for Unity of Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you have the time and he is close so that you both can go on this journey together.

    ReplyDelete