Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Slow Process of Being Human




 Practical spirituality—that’s one of the ways in which Unity teaching has been explained to me.  You know, kind of like “I’m a spiritual person having a human experience.”  There are times when I feel far more human than I’d like to admit, and it’s the human side of me that most often slows up the process, but the older I get the more willing I am to truly embrace those constructs. 

 When I first came to Unity those words tried my patience to the “enth” degree.  “Right,” I’d think, “easy for you to say, hard for me to do,” and then wonder just how long it would take for me to “get it”?! 

One day, when I asked the “when I get it” question, I was told that for some, the Light comes with a sudden burst of understanding, while for others it’s a very gradual process, similar to that of a glacier.  Hardly encouraging to someone who has a tiny little person tearing about in her mind screaming “Now, Now!” and I remember thinking, “Please, Lord, hit me with a brick!  I want it now!   Years later, I realize it has been the methodical processing of Truth Principles that has woven them so tightly into the fabric of my life.

 It has taken patience, kindness, love, and forgiveness-- all directed toward myself--for me to start to get it, for if you don’t treat yourself in the best possible way, how can you do that for others?  The better I get at embracing the process, the easier it becomes to allow that goodness to radiate out to others.  
                
 Are there times I still wish I could go at “warp speed”?  Yes, but my lesson has been this:  The longer I live the more clear I am that true Spirit isn’t “out there” somewhere.  It indwells me.  And on those “human” days I do my utmost to go back to love, kindness and forgiveness.

  With this in mind, I leave you with a favorite quote from Lewis B. Smedes:
“You will know forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.”
. . . and that starts with yourself.  As my mother used to say, “be your own best friend.”  It’s a very good place to start.

--Kate Morgan for Unity of Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment